Positioned in the middle of the minivan market, the front-wheel-drive Lumina was designed for buyers interested in a minivan designed primarily for people-moving. The Lumina's base engine was a 3.1-liter ohv V6. It was used to mate a standard 3-speed automatic transmission or an optional 4-speed automatic overdrive. The standard 5-passenger seating included a rear bench seat. Individual second- and third-row seats were easily removable and were included in the optional 7-passenger seating package.
Like the Astro, the Chevrolet Lumina minivan only had two models at the beginning -- as a Cargo or Passenger van.
A brand-new, more powerful optional engine, the 3.8-liter ohv V6, was released, with only 4-speed automatic transmission.
The 1993 Chevy Lumina minivan added a new sunroof and a new center console for dual cupholders.
In 1994, the Chevrolet Lumina underwent a number of significant modifications, most notably a new, shorter nose. Integral child seats were an option on 7-seat vans. One or two second-row seats had fold-out child restraint seats with 5-point safety belts. Other options included an automatic door-lock system, a remote keyless-entry system, traction control and an acoustic package designed to reduce engine, road and wind noise.
For 1995, Chevrolet was content to follow through with just four new upgrades: a passenger-car-type brake-transmission shift interlock, enhancements to the optional V6 engine, new automatic transmission fluid that never needs replacement under normal operating conditions and a new dark teal exterior color.
In its last year, the Lumina minivan was upgraded to contain a 3.4-liter V6 engine and 180 horsepower.
As of December 17, 1993:
- $15,685 (1994 Chevrolet Lumina Cargo Van)
- $17,015 (1994 Chevrolet Lumina Passenger Van)
As of late 1994:
- $16,235 (1995 Chevrolet Lumina Cargo Van)
- $17,595 (1995 Chevrolet Lumina Passenger Van)
As of September 4, 1995:
- $17,870 (1996 Chevrolet Lumina Cargo Van)
- $19,890 (1996 Chevrolet Lumina Passenger Van)
As of July 27, 1997:
- $19,925 (1997 Chevrolet Venture 3DR Passenger Van)
- $21,090 (1997 Chevrolet Venture Ext 3DR Passenger Van)
- $21,869 (1997 Chevrolet Venture 4DR Passenger Van)
- $22,699 (1997 Chevrolet Venture Ext 4DR Passenger Van)
- $530 (1992-1994 models)
- $540 (1995 models)
- $545 (1996 models)
- $570 (1997-1998 models)