Honda dealers have been clamoring to enter the booming light truck market, but the parent company in Japan didn't have the resources or the time to develop two vehicles at once. So the decision was made to develop their own minivan and buy a sport/utility vehicle from another manufacturer. In 1994, a deal was struck to sell the Isuzu Rodeo through Honda dealerships.
The Passport/Rodeo twins were built in a Subaru/Isuzu joint venture plant in Lafayette, Indiana. The major differences between the two were cosmetic: The Honda was available in three trim levels (DX, LX and EX), the Isuzu in two. The Honda had body-color rear roof pillars, the Isuzu's were matte black.
First unveiled on September 9, 1993, the Honda Passport officially went on sale in January 1994.
For 1995, the Passport was a carryover model, receiving only a few minor interior and exterior changes. A variety of engine and transmission options with either 2-wheel-drive or 4-wheel drive were available. The base DX model had 2wd, a 5-speed manual transmission and an sohc 2.6-liter inline 4-cylinder engine.
Midlevel LX and upscale EX models featured a sohc 3.2-liter V6 and a choice of a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. The automatic had a "winter start" mode that would hold the transmission in Third gear to help get it rolling on slippery surfaces. The LX was available with 2wd or 4wd, but all EXs were 4x4s. Power steering, rear ABS, tinted glass and exterior spare tire were standard on all Passports.
Later 1995.5 models added in a new 4x2 version of the EX.
The 1996 Honda Passport went on sale in early 1996.
- $15,820 (1994 Honda Passport DX 4x2)
- $19,060 (1994 Honda Passport LX 4x2)
- $21,570 (1994 Honda Passport LX 4x4)
- $24,140 (1994 Honda Passport EX 4x4)
As of October 3, 1994:
- $16,230 (1995 Honda Passport DX 4x2)
- $19,635 (1995 Honda Passport LX 4x2)
- $22,300 (1995 Honda Passport LX 4x4)
- $25,400 (1995 Honda Passport EX 4x4)
As of April 12, 1995:
- $17,630 (1995.5 Honda Passport DX 4x2)
- $20,840 (1995.5 Honda Passport LX 4x2)
- $23,520 (1995.5 Honda Passport LX 4x4)
- $25,600 (1995.5 Honda Passport EX 4x2)
- $26,650 (1995.5 Honda Passport EX 4x4)