Positioned at the upper end of the sport/utility market, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is designed to appeal to upscale buyers who want a luxury 4-wheel-drive vehicle and who value the Jeep name. Primary competition for the Grand Cherokee comes from the Mitsubishi Montero, Oldsmobile Bravada, Ford Explorer and the Land Rover Discovery.
Year-to-year changes[edit | edit source]
1995[edit | edit source]
In its third year, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the flagship of the Jeep line, boasts a wide range of improvements designed to keep it at the top of the luxury sport/utility field. Most important, antilock brakes are now standard equipment throughout the line. Also coming on board this year are several welcome new options: a flip-up liftgate window, an overhead console with two map lights and an integrated child safety seat.
The Grand Cherokee is available in three trim levels: the base SE, the uplevel Laredo and the top-of-the-line Limited. The Grand Cherokee comes in 4-door versions only. New this year is the Orvis Edition, which provides another level of upscale style that echoes the outdoorsy theme of the Orvis mail-order catalog.
The base engine remains the potent 4.0-liter inline 6-cylinder. The optional engine is a more powerful 5.2-liter V8, which this year comes with a new camshaft for higher-torque. Both engines are mated to a 4-speed automatic transmission. The 5-speed manual has been deleted.
Part-time and full-time 4-wheel-drive systems are offered. Also available is an awd option that features a viscous coupling for smooth front-to-rear torque transfer.
Retail prices[edit | edit source]
- $22,643 (1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE 4DR)
- $24,580 (1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE 4DR 4WD)
- $28,260 (1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4DR)
As of late 1994:
- $30,687 (1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4DR 4WD)
As of mid-1995:
- $31,187 (1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4DR 4WD)
As of August 7, 1995:
- $24,603 (1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4DR)
- $26,571 (1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4DR 4WD)
- $30,479 (1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4DR)
- $32,906 (1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4DR 4WD)