The 1994 3000GT did away with the retractable headlamps and some extraneous humps in the bodywork for a much smoother look. The disappearing hardtop was nicely designed and looked as if it could have been an alternative to the normal top even if it didn't retract. Brakes were also improved for '94, but Mitsubishi did not state a weight for the new Spyder which, with the VR-4 chassis, at about 4000 pounds.
The 3000GT coupe was a competitor for the Toyota Supra, Mazda RX-7 and the solid-topped 300ZX and Vette. The coupe came in three versions: Base and SL had the 220-hp V6 and front-drive; VR-4 had the twin-turbo and all-wheel drive. The Spyder had leather upholstery, standard, as well as a premium audio system and dual airbags.
The Mitsubishi 3000GT Spyder VR-4 combined a 4-cam, 4-valve- per-cylinder, twin turbocharged, intercooled V6 with a 6-speed Getrag gearbox, all-wheel-drive, 4wheel-steering, aerodynamic devices that would raise and lower themselves with speed, the whole range of usual sound systems, power steering, power brakes, ABS, limited-slip differentials, and a retractable hardtop, the first offered in a production car since 1959.
The Spyder was offered in two performance levels: normally aspirated with 220 hp and the 320-hp intercooled and turbocharged version. The normally aspirated version had a 4-speed automatic in place of the 6-speed.
The Corvette Roadster and Nissan 300ZX convertible were the likely competitors for the Spyder. The convertible made its debut in mid-1994 as the first of Mitsubishi's 1995 models to go on sale, and the coupes were the company's last 1995 models.
As of March 9, 1994:
- $27,450 (1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2DR Coupe)
- $31,975 (1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 2DR Coupe)
- $41,275 (1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 2DR Coupe)
As of mid-1994:
- $55,000 (1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 2DR Convertible)
- $62,000 (1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 2DR Convertible)
As of early 1995:
- $28,991 (1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2DR Coupe)
- $34,399 (1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 2DR Coupe)
- $43,898 (1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 2DR Coupe)
As of October 1, 1995:
- $30,680 (1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT)
- $35,830 (1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL)
- $45,580 (1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4)