The Mitsubishi Galant competed in the tough compact-sedan market with the Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Mazda 626, Toyota Camry, Ford Contour, Mercury Mystique, Dodge Stratus, Chrysler Cirrus and Chevrolet's Corsica and Lumina. The Galant, available only as a 4-door sedan, came in four trim levels: S, ES, LS and GS.
All had the same 2.4-liter Four, but the first three had an sohc cylinder head. The GS had dohc and 19 more hp. S and GS had a 5-speed manual transmission standard. ES and LS had an electronically controlled 4-speed automatic with "fuzzy logic" that would help the transmission "understand" differing shift requirements based on traffic conditions, terrain, and driving style. The automatic was optional on the S and GS.
Multilink suspension was used at all four wheels, giving better control than struts. All levels had power steering standard. Disc brakes front/drums rear were standard on all but the GS, which would get discs all around. ABS was an option on all but the S. All had tilt steering. All but the S had standard air conditioning, power windows and door locks, cruise control and a 6-speaker cassette stereo system. The GS added a standard CD player to that. The S had speakers and wiring for a radio. All levels had dual airbags.
The Galant fought for recognition in the toughest segment of the market and although it did pretty well, it tended to get buried in the continuing flood of advertising for the Accord, Camry and Altima. Like the Mazda 626, the Galant was able to compete if shoppers could find it.
All new for 1994, the Galant was unchanged for 1995, and did not go on sale until early 1995, when the GS was discontinued.
As of May 28, 1993:
- $13,600 (1994 Mitsubishi Galant S)
- $20,494 (1994 Mitsubishi Galant GS)
As of August 27, 1993:
- $17,880 (1994 Mitsubishi Galant ES)
- $19,420 (1994 Mitsubishi Galant LS)
As of October 1, 1994:
- $14,349 (1995 Mitsubishi Galant S)
- $18,669 (1995 Mitsubishi Galant ES)
- $20,269 (1995 Mitsubishi Galant LS)
As of early 1995:
- $14,421 (1995 Mitsubishi Galant S)
- $18,760 (1995 Mitsubishi Galant ES)
- $20,866 (1995 Mitsubishi Galant LS)
As of October 1, 1995:
- $14,920 (1996 Mitsubishi Galant S)
- $19,790 (1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES)
- $22,860 (1996 Mitsubishi Galant LS)