Year-to-year changes[edit | edit source]
1995[edit | edit source]
Although it may not be readily apparent to any but the Volvo acolyte, the 960 was really quite a different car from its predecessors. Basic dimensions were the same, both inside and out, but the body/chassis structure was considerably reengineered. Front suspension was now similar to the front-drive 850 model's, a tubular crossmember stiffens the chassis and transverse A-arms put side loads directly into it.
In the rear, the excellent Volvo multilink suspension was carried on a huge aluminum crossmember. The former coil springs were replaced by a reflex-curved glass fiber transverse leaf. For the first time, the multilink rear setup was used on the wagon as well.
The 2.9-liter aluminum 4-valve inline Six lost 20 horsepower compared with 1994, but made its peak power and torque (up by 2 ft.-lb.) at substantially lower speeds. The only transmission was an Aisan-Warner 4-speed, electronically controlled 3-mode automatic with lockup torque converter.
All front and rear body sheetmetal was new for 1995. As a result, the sedan's aerodynamic drag coefficient was reduced from 0.34 to 0.32. Burled walnut trim, most un-Volvolike, was new as are, surprise!, cup holders. Side-impact protection, already in advance of federal requirements, was improved. All seat positions had 3-point harnesses. Dual airbags, climate control and leather upholstery were all standard.
Retail prices[edit | edit source]
As of March 9, 1993:
- $35,675 (1993 Volvo 960 Level I 4DR Sedan)
- $36,295 (1993 Volvo 960 Level II 4DR Sedan)
- $36,675 (1993 Volvo 960 Level I 4DR Wagon)
- $37,295 (1993 Volvo 960 Level II 4DR Wagon)
As of early 1994:
- $30,900 (1994 Volvo 960 Level I 4DR Sedan)
- $35,085 (1994 Volvo 960 Level II 4DR Sedan)
- $36,385 (1994 Volvo 960 Level II 4DR Wagon)
As of late 1994:
- $29,900 (1995 Volvo 960 4DR Sedan)
- $31,200 (1995 Volvo 960 4DR Wagon)
As of April 10, 1995:
- $31,960 (1995 Volvo 960 4DR Sedan)
- $33,260 (1995 Volvo 960 4DR Wagon)
As of October 1, 1995:
- $33,960 (1996 Volvo 960 4DR Sedan)
- $35,260 (1996 Volvo 960 4DR Wagon)